Burundi after the civil strife. How is the media helping to rebuild the nation?

2 replies [Last post]
Patrick Luganda's picture

In Africa we have had our fair share of conflicts. Often the media is at the epicenter of informing the nation and the rest of the world about the progress of the war and conflict. In Burundi after several years of civil strife, the country is slowly but steadily getting back on its feet. The time for national reconciliation and reconstruction is at hand. Can the media play a leading role in guiding the nation to recovery just at it did at the height of the conflict? What are the issues that could be tackled by the media to make this a reality? I invite all Network participants to give their ideas and share them out.

CARE also works to strengthen

CARE also works to strengthen the ability of local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to improve the lives of the people they serve. In 1995, CARE helped fund seven local NGOs working in the following sectors: health, education, women's development, income generation, humanitarian assistance and community development.

70-624 exam | 1z0-007 exam | E20-001 exam

Burundi after the civil strife

I believe media practitioners, especially Journalists and ‘media’ owners in Burundi should 'revive' observing media ethics. The growth of some problems such as ethnicity and community break-up had been due to unstable and partisan media. I think turning back to find mistakes/weakness of the Burundi media is the best starting point in helping rebuild the nation. Once Burundi journalists have re-build themselves then it would be easier to plan how they can help the re-build their nation including running reconciliation community programmes, and holding accountable politicians who still ruin the nation by promoting division and corruption.

Issa, UK.